vhost net: performance with ping benchmark

Anthony Liguori anthony at codemonkey.ws
Tue Aug 25 06:24:07 PDT 2009

Avi Kivity wrote:
> My preference is ring proxying.  Not we'll need ring proxying (or at
> least event proxying) for non-MSI guests.

Thinking about this more...

How does the hand off work?  Assuming you normally don't proxy ring
entries and switch to proxying them when you want to migration, do you
have a set of ioctl()s that changes the semantics of the ring to be host
virtual addresses instead of guest physical?  If so, what do you do with
in flight requests?  Does qemu have to buffer new requests and wait for
old ones to complete?

Unless you always do ring proxying.  If that's the case, we don't need
any of the slot management code in vhost.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori