[Qemu-devel] Re: virtio-serial: An interface for host-guest communication

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Fri Aug 14 06:49:18 PDT 2009

On 08/14/09 10:15, Amit Shah wrote:
> The guest code sort-of ends up looking like this after merging
> virtio_console into virtio_serial.

I think it should better go the other way around: add multichannel
support to virtio-concole, probably guarded by a feature flag so old
host+new guest and new host+old guest combinations continue to work.

> Since there's support for only one console as of now, I've assigned port
> #2 as the console port so that we hook into hvc when a port is found at
> that location.

Doesn't sound like this is going to be backward compatible ...

Also I still think passing a 'protocol' string for each port is a good
idea, so you can stick that into a sysfs file for guests use.

Note it is probably easy to make virtio-console support multiple hvc
lines by having one protocol for that (named 'console' for example).

cheers,
   Gerd