[Qemu-devel] Re: virtio-serial: An interface for host-guest communication

Amit Shah amit.shah at redhat.com
Thu Aug 6 06:41:03 PDT 2009

On (Thu) Aug 06 2009 [08:29:40], Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Amit Shah wrote:
>> Sure; but there's been no resistance from anyone from including the
>> virtio-serial device driver so maybe we don't need to discuss that.
>>

> There certainly is from me.  The userspace interface is not reasonable
> for guest applications to use.

One example that would readily come to mind is dbus. A daemon running on
the guest that reads data off the port and interacts with the desktop by
appropriate dbus commands. All that's needed is a stream of bytes and
virtio-serial provides just that.

Any more complexity could easily be handled in userspace.

		Amit