bridge vs macvlan performance (was: some veth related issues)

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Tue Aug 4 22:41:54 PDT 2009

Ben Greear wrote:
> Well, it seems we could and should fix veth to work, but it will have
> to do equivalent work of copying  an skb most likely, so either way
> you'll probably get a big performance hit.
Using the same pktgen script (i.e with clone=0) I see that a
veth-->bridge-->veth configuration gives about 400K PPS forwarding
performance where macvlan-->veth-->macvlan gives 680K PPS (again, I made
sure that the bridge has applied learning before I start the test).
Basically, both the bridge and macvlan use hash on the destination mac
in order to know to which device forward the packet, is there anything
in the bridge logic that can explain the gap? It there something which
isn't really apples-to-apples in this comparison?

Or.