system call time increase when turning on CONFIG_PARAVIRT

Zachary Amsden zach at vmware.com
Fri Mar 2 23:00:59 PST 2007

Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> Tim Chen wrote:
>
>> I also hope that the performance can be recovered as this option could
>> enabled in distributions' kernels in future.
>>

> Yes, the intent is that running a CONFIG_PARAVIRT kernel on native
> hardware will have negligible performance hit compared to running a
> non-paravirt kernel.

We can validate that claim entirely.  The way we are proceeding, the
native code will be inlined or direct called as much as possible.  With
the VMI-Linux code we had earlier, this mostly created <3% overhead for
microbenchmarks (and in some cases, we actually won over the unmodified
native code).  For macro-benchmarks, with real-world workloads, this
reduced to immeasurable noise, never off by more than +/- 0.5% IIRC.

I believe all of this is totally achievable.  We have the technology.
We can rebuild it.

Zach