[Printing-summit] Color Management and Printing with Linux - OpenPrinting Summit 2009

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 14:26:31 PST 2008

Hi,

I will organize the next OpenPrinting Summit in April 2009 (most
probably April 8-10) in San Francisco, on the Linux Foundation
Collaboration Summit (https://www.linuxfoundation.org/events/).

This is a meeting of everyone important for improving printing with free
software and especially on Linux: Printer manufacturers, driver
developers, Linux distribution representatives, core printing system
developers, desktop and application developers, usability experts, ...
and (I hope this time also) color managent experts!

On the previous Printing Summits we have planned and discussed a lot of
things which led to major improvements in printing. For example the PDF
printing workflow agreed on on the Printing Summit 2006 in Atlanta is
now turned reality in the Ubuntu Intrepid distribution. Also automatic
printer driver download from OpenPrinting is on its way.

One important thing where Windows and Mac OS X are ahead of us is Color
Management on the operating system level. This we should also get in
Linux, integrated with the CUPS printing workflow. Developemnt is
already going the right way, like PDF-based printing and color
management in Ghostscript. To get it all working together the best is
when we meet, and there is no better place for that than the
OpenPrinting Summit.

I plan to make Color Management one of the main subjects of the upcoming
OpenPrinting Summit. What do you think? What should we discuss about?
Who is essential to participate?

    Till