[Printing-summit] Is six months too often for large Printing Summits?

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Mon Oct 30 16:03:15 PST 2006

On 27 October 2006 08:01, McDonald, Ira wrote:
> Please send your comments to the mailing list.

IMO yes, it is too often. In my personal situation, the factors that play into
this are:

- my daywork has 0 to do with KDE/KDEPrint, thus all things KDE have to happen
at night or during vacations. Consequence, each Summit requires 3 to 5 days
from my vacations. Twice a year, this would make up to 10 days of a meager 20
days alotment. Given that I don't only do KDEPrint for KDE (but other
speaking/conferencing commitments too) this would leave almost no vacation
time for my family

- my work sometimes requires continuous presence on campus, especially in the
autumn (I give courses). So, 6 months spaced Summits would mandatorily clash
with my work obligations each one time out of two.

- as somebody who can't afford to pay for travel/hotel by myself, I have to
require sponsorship for going to the Summit. In April, it was OSDL which,
with great kindness, sponsored me 100%. It is difficult (morally) for me to
require so big expenses *twice* in a year, especially when I know that the
work time with which I can thank concretely for such great, material help is
a lean 1h/day work on the code (and sometimes not even this).

Thank you for your attention.

--
Cristian Tibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org