[Printing-summit] printer manufacturer roundtable

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Thu Oct 19 22:54:52 PDT 2006

Robert L Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu> writes:

>    From: Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp>
>    Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 11:25:00 +0900
>
>    FYI, PIPS Lite is now 100% GPL'd.  The older line of PIPS packages
>    will continue to contain non-free bits, AFAIK.  Both provide
>    drivers for EPSON inkjet printers and all-in-ones.
>
> What's the difference between PIPS Lite and PIPS?

Not too familiar with the finer details myself, I asked around.
Here's the scoop:

  PIPS
The various PIPS packages contain printer/all-in-one model specific
drivers.  The use a binary-only module to get the most out of the
device.  That module is released under the terms of the EAPL, all
other bits are (L)GPL.

  PIPS Lite

This is a one-size fits all kind of driver.  It includes utilities to
query the device for its capabilities and build PPD files based on the
reply.  Because of its one-size fits all approach, it does not provide
as much functionality as the PIPS packages.  All PIPS Lite source is
(L)GPL.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, SE1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/