[Printing-summit] Printing Summit talk title and abstract

Hin-Tak Leung hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 18 10:51:01 PDT 2006

Ian Murdock wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Could you send me a title and abstract for your printer driver development
 > talk for the wiki?

Hi,

I have titled the slides "OPVP versus IJS" initially, then changed to the
present one, but it is probably better called "OPVP in comparison to other
printing related technology", abstract would be:

"By comparing with IJS, PCL XL and other printing related technology,
we can identify some areas of improvements for the underlying
specification (PDAPI) and the toolkit provided".

Here is the draft version of the slide:
http://epsonepl.sourceforge.net/lsm2006-htl-opvp.vs.ijs.pdf

The slide is too long at the moment and full of technical details - in
summary, OPVP/PDAPI doesn't currently have font related API
(not composite/transparency related ones), nor does it currently
provide protocol version negotiation. There are also simple ways
of enhancing the tool kit for running on windows (IJS does run under
windows - this shall be important for some situations). I couldn't find
anyway of changing resolution in OPRP which seems to be 300x300dpi only
(this aspect is well-established in IJS). OTOH, IJS does not have the
equivalent of SkipRaster.

A lot of people - HP's on IJS and PCL XL, Canon/Fuji-Xerox/Epson on OPVP -
are far more knowledgeable on many part of this, so I hope I don't make too
many mistakes :-).

Hin-Tak

P.S. there seems to be a mistake in the 2006 April OPVP slide -
the OPVP opfc-ModuleHP for HP 4600 and 5500 uses PCL5C rather than PCL6.