[Printing-summit] printer manufacturer roundtable

Hin-Tak Leung hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 16 03:25:38 PDT 2006

--- Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp> wrote:
<snipped>
> Please remove me from this list.  EPSON AVASYS is *not* part of EPSON
> and we can't speak for them from a manufacturer point of view.  AVASYS
> is a Linux/free-software-related company as far as the Printing Summit
> is concerned.

Since you mentioned it - Can you explain the nature of the relationship
between Epson Avasys and Epson ("Epson Seiko") ? As far as I understand it,
Epson Avasys is a branch/subsidiary of Epson Seiko responsible for
some software/driver related projects, and yes, you probably don't have
access to all of a manufacturer's point of view, since Avasys does not deal
with the hardware/firmware side of things, as far as I know.

Also, the "linux/free-software-related" part I am not sure - some of
drivers shipped by Avasys contain binary-only components (may not may not be
currently - it has been a long time since I last looked at any avasys drivers
in detail) So I would probably describe it as "software/driver-support
company for the linux market".

Sorry for nitpicking...

Hin-Tak