[Printing-summit] UI Question - choosing from among 7, 000 la nguage tags

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Wed Oct 4 09:31:21 PDT 2006

Hi Michael,

You may have missed some of the subtleties here.

Documents stored on the web (especially HTML and
XML documents) will be tagged with their primary
natural language (e.g., in XML 'lang' element) -
and any of those 7,000 languages may very well be
used - they all met strict _reality_ criteria set
by the ISO 639-3 committee.  This is work derived
from the Ethnologue research effort.

Since most documents will NOT have a new 'script'
subtag in their language tag, the end user (and
print system) are left on their own to deduce the
probable script (and therefore necessary fonts)
from the language tag.

Also, since the new 'script' subtags (standardized
in ISO 15924) are _infixed_ (between language and
region) in RFC 4646, software that parses language
tags will all need to be updated (or ubiquitously
fail when 'script' subtags are present).

Don't shoot the messenger - I fought long and hard
for two years to keep 'script' subtags from being
infixed, with strong support from Ned Freed - but
we got shouted down in the LTRU WG.

Cheers,
- Ira

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc