[Printing-summit] UI Question - choosing from among 7, 000 language tags

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Tue Oct 3 12:19:37 PDT 2006

Hi,

The IETF LTRU (Language Tag Registry Update) Working Group
has recently published RFC 4645/6/7, which introduced the
Language _Subtag_ Registry (i.e., parts of language tags)
and obsoleted RFC 3066.

The IETF LTRU has just been rechartered to address adding
some 7,000 new language subtags (from the new ISO 639-3
standard now nearing completion).

Below is a note to the LTRU WG from John Cowan raising the
very important question of how to present such choices to
end users (in web browsers and other applications).

So, I'm forwarding this question to the Open Usability team
and the other readers of the Printing Summit mailing list.

Initial response on LTRU WG mailing list hasn't yielded any
practical approaches - a pull-down list with 7,000 choices
is obviously _not_ a good approach, as John says below.

Cheers,
- Ira

PS - John Cowan - if we get fruitful feedback, I'll forward
it to the LTRU list - the Open Usability team is designing
a toolkit independent next-generation printing dialogue for
Linux and other *nix systems - we will be meeting soon at
the Free Standards Group's Printing Summit in Lexington - see
http://www.freestandards.org/en/OpenPrinting/SummitLexington

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434