[Printing-summit] opvp

Hin-Tak Leung hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 13 16:46:53 PDT 2006

Hi,

I did start with "I know this is non-trivial, and probably no
hardare vendor would sponsor such an activity..." :-). It is
a chicken-and-egg problem - if a piece of software is too
hardware-specific, non-owner/non-vendor developers are less likely to
take any interest. That's one reason why opvp hasn't taken off.
(the other is of course, vector drivers are more difficult to get into,
compared to raster based drivers).

On the technical front, there are some incentives for a pdf-to-pdf
driver, even for printers that takes pdf "natively": there are
a million pdf writing software out there, fonts which are slight
strange, etc and it could be impossible to deal with every situation;
but a host pdf-to-pdf driver, (more easily upgradable) can provide
"sanitized" pdf's in some sense e.g. PDF/X. Of course, some people
use ghostscript that way :-).

Above a certain size or resolution (large format printers),
raster-based approach for sending data becomes too-slow for practical
use.

At the moment, I can see a PCL6-based driver really benefit from
converting to a vector-all-the-way approach. PCL6 does have most of
postscript's vector drawing capabilities, but most PCL6 drivers (hpijs,
ghostscript's pxlmono/pxlcolor) doesn't make much use of that.

Hin-Tak