[Printing-summit] [OpenICC] Device Settings in ICC

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue Sep 5 02:59:50 PDT 2006

Am 04.09.06, 16:10 -0400 schrieb Robert L Krawitz:

> (Cross-posting to printing-summit at freestandards.org)
>
>    Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 18:18:39 +0200 (CEST)
>    From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de>

>    http://www.oyranos.org/wiki/index.php?title=Device_Settings_in_ICC_0.1

> If I understand this correctly, the "driver-specific configuration
> data" is intended to be a blob of driver-specific data specifying the
> settings that this profile corresponds to.  In Gutenprint terms, it
> might specify paper type, color correction method, resolution,
> density, and so forth.

Yes.

> A printing (for example) dialog would then lock the settings for these
> particular adjustments if the user specifies a profile containing this
> tag, and allow the user to modify other settings that the driver
> doesn't specify to be locked.  This is why I've copied it to
> printing-summit -- there's a discussion taking place right now about
> printing dialogs.
>
> One complexity is that most printing dialogs are currently controlled
> by PPD files; it's hard to see how this would be integrated in any
> general way with PPD files.  The alternative would be to break from
> PPD files and move toward a more programmatic interface, which I would
> personally prefer but which will make life more complicated for
> applications that provide their own PPD-based printing dialogs.
>
> I'd suggest adding a field specifying the highest allowable driver
> version also.  For example, a profile made against Gimp-Print 4.2.7
> should not be used with Gutenprint 5.0.0 (of course, these can be
> disambiguated by name, but that's only because we renamed the package
> -- we certainly won't be making a habit of that!)

Please turn it in the lowest allowable driver version.
For instance Gutenprint set a colour driver in stone in version 5.0.0.
That particular device driver can be used despite lets say Gutenprint has
allready reached version 5.2.15. Lets call it compatibility version. It
has to been specified on a per device basis. If with version 5.2.16 the
driver for out device show colours now different, the new compatibility
version would become 5.2.16. It should be equal to the device driver
number in the IccDeviceSettingsTag. I have to make it more clear or
change it in the device settings tag spec.

> As a minor point, I'd suggest including a field specifying the length
> of the driver-specific configuration data.  I understand that the
> total length of the tag implies the length of the driver-specific
> configuration data, but storing the field length is more clear.  It
> also allows multiple records within the same tag.  I'm not quite sure
> exactly what use that would be, but I think it would be desirable (and
> cost only 4 bytes) to anticipate the future.

Ok, I will include a size field in the tag.

> --
> Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk at alum.mit.edu>
>
> Tall Clubs International  --  http://www.tall.org/ or 1-888-IM-TALL-2
> Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net
> Project lead for Gutenprint   --    http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net
>
> "Linux doesn't dictate how I work, I dictate how Linux works."
> --Eric Crampton

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management