[Printing-summit] [lsb-discuss] Printer/driver testingandcertification

George Liu george at etd.ussj.ricoh.com
Wed Aug 23 10:16:55 PDT 2006

[mailto:printing-
> summit-bounces at lists.freestandards.org] On Behalf Of Till Kamppeter
> Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 6:34 AM
> To: Klaus Singvogel
> Cc: Steve Schafer; lsb-discuss; Stark, Jens; Wichmann, Mats D;
printing-
> summit at lists.freestandards.org
> Subject: Re: [Printing-summit] [lsb-discuss] Printer/driver
> testingandcertification
>
> Klaus Singvogel wrote:
> > foomatic-rip is not mandatory for systems with PostScript printers
> > (and a few others). Vendors, which want to build up a small distro,
> > can only longer be LSB compliant, if they don't have foomatic-rip
> > because of missing necessity.
> >
> > I don't think it's a mandatory requirement to have foomatic-rip in
> > every distribution, only a "might have" or "should have".
[George Liu]
I guess technically, there's no need (besides marketing concerns) to LSB
certify "Pure" Postscript printer/drivers if they are provided by
manufacture. "Pure" Postscript printers are automatically certified by
LSB 0.1.

> My thought was that LSB is standardizing what the distros are
> delivering. Every distro currently ships foomatic-rip. foomatic-rip is
> also useful for PostScript printers, as it allows to use PPDs also in
> non-CUPS environments. LSB does not only contain things which are
needed
> by EVERY user, but many things which are used by MANY users.
[George Liu]
I agree with Till that foomatic-rip should be included in LSB standard.
(Unless it is targeting distributions like RHEL3 or older)

Right now, Foomatic-rip has become a standard part of all major Linux
distributions and Solaris 10. All 700+ PPD files (including Postscript
PPDs) Ricoh releases to LP.org *REQUIRES* Foomatic-rip. Only with the
help of Foomatic-rip, secure print features like LockedPrint, UserCode
can be provided to end user.

Those PPD files and secure print features will even work on non-CUPS
system like Solaris 10, thanks for Foomatic-rip.