[Printing-summit] [lsb-discuss] Printer/driver testing andcertification

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Aug 22 03:58:56 PDT 2006

Hello,

On Aug 21 10:13 Michael Sweet wrote (shortened):
> The default CUPS configuration does not
> accept connections from remote systems - we only listen on the
> local loopback interface (localhost)

Yes, now with CUPS 1.2.
But have the history in mind:
When we made our RunAsUser-decission (it was for Suse Linux 9.0)
we made it based upon what we had learned up to that time
from the past (i.e. from even longer ago).

> If "http://localhost:631" works out-of-the-box on all systems, then
> there is a consistent printer management interface for all users.
> Anyone watching the CUPS forums can see that when a distro purposely
> turns this page off, users get angry, confused, and frustrated, which
> I can only assume is *not* what a distro vendor wants to see...

Of course!
But again: Have the history in mind.
Now we do have a lot of experience about problems with stuff
like RunAsUser or non-/etc/shadow authentication.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de