[Printing-summit] QUESTION for operating system vendors/distributors

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Mon Aug 21 18:40:53 PDT 2006

   Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 13:44:10 -0500
   From: Norm Jacobs <Norm.Jacobs at Sun.COM>

   Robert L Krawitz wrote:
   > The Gutenprint project is considering a change that would create
   > at least a partial dependency of Gutenprint on the CUPS API
   > (specifically, the PPD file parser in libcups).  How much of a
   > problem would this pose to OS distributors/vendors (e. g. Linux
   > distributions, Mac OS X, Solaris, AIX, etc)?

   This is likely to cause something of a problem on Solaris.
   Solaris ships Gutenprint for use with Foomatic under LP.  We
   don't happen to ship CUPS.

I'm *very* strongly inclined toward not freezing people out in the
name of progress if at all possible.  If a significant number of
people don't have CUPS available (it wouldn't require CUPS to be
running), that wouldn't be a very friendly thing to do.  It's why I'm
asking.

   > Would it be easier if we were to introduce this change in a new minor
   > version (e. g. 5.2) vs. a point release (e. g. 5.0.1)?

   If you are going to do something like this, I would be inclined to
   say that a point release wouldn't be the place to do it.

I don't think it would be practical to do it in a point release.

Most likely we'll embed the necessary code in Gutenprint if we can't
find a lightweight PPD file parser.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton