[Printing-summit] QUESTION for operating system vendors/distributors

Norm Jacobs Norm.Jacobs at Sun.COM
Mon Aug 21 11:44:10 PDT 2006

Robert L Krawitz wrote:
> The Gutenprint project is considering a change that would create at
> least a partial dependency of Gutenprint on the CUPS API
> (specifically, the PPD file parser in libcups).  How much of a problem
> would this pose to OS distributors/vendors (e. g. Linux distributions,
> Mac OS X, Solaris, AIX, etc)?

This is likely to cause something of a problem on Solaris.
Solaris ships Gutenprint for use with Foomatic under LP.  We
don't happen to ship CUPS.
> Would it be easier if we were to introduce this change in a new minor
> version (e. g. 5.2) vs. a point release (e. g. 5.0.1)?

If you are going to do something like this, I would be inclined to
say that a point release wouldn't be the place to do it.

       -Norm