[Printing-summit] [lsb-discuss] Printer/driver testing andcertification

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Aug 21 07:13:53 PDT 2006

Klaus Singvogel wrote:
> Those customers, who want full features, are the same, who want full
> security, as soon as a breakin was successfully done and their machine
> became abused (and maybe confiscated by the police). The same people,
> who complain about not having full features, complain then about lack
> of security, as soon as they got any damage. Suddenly they say that
> it's the distros fault not providing enough security, etc.

I'm trying to stay out of this discussion as much as possible, but
this is a bogus argument.  The default CUPS configuration does not
accept connections from remote systems - we only listen on the
local loopback interface (localhost), so unless a user sets up a
network-accessible tunnel/proxy pointing at localhost:631 (which I
am quite sure SuSE is *not* doing :), it is impossible to access
the printing system remotely and thus there is no remote access
security issue there.

If "http://localhost:631" works out-of-the-box on all systems, then
there is a consistent printer management interface for all users.
Anyone watching the CUPS forums can see that when a distro purposely
turns this page off, users get angry, confused, and frustrated, which
I can only assume is *not* what a distro vendor wants to see...

> What did we wrong or did we miss providing these information, except
> the fact that people insist to ignore our provided data?

My own experience was that I simply could not find the information
you provided.

In general I have found that most users will simply not read anything
that is not placed directly in front of them, and even then you need
to use short sentences with no big words to get them to read anything
at all...