[Printing-summit] [lsb-discuss] Printer/driver testing andcertification

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Mon Aug 21 04:23:32 PDT 2006

   Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 12:43:10 +0200
   From: "Stark, Jens" <Jens.Stark at seeg.sharp-eu.com>

   Johannes wrote (also shortened):

   >> ... it should be one and the same for everybody.

   >In the free software world this will never ever happen because
   >if it happens somewhere for a longer time, this part can no longer
   >belong to the free software world (otherwise it would have evolved).
   >Instead of demanding "be one and the same for everybody"
   >there must be reasonable specifications (e.g. LSB) so that
   >something can be used the same way (but it must not "be the same").

   Agreed. But would it be unreasonable to expect distributions not to
   break the CUPS web interface ? For Willie the End User with his
   printer connected via USB, the printer is the minor issue. He will
   be able to setup his printer using the distro supplied
   maintenance/setup/config tool (Which differ without a REAL need
   to. Same (worse) in the Unix world - think of the likes of SMIT).

Having different tool sets for each distribution makes for a major
support headache.  It's worst for distributions that don't support the
web interface at all out of the box and for distributions that don't
directly use the CUPS PPD files, because it becomes very hard to tell
users how to do something that can work.

   Enters the service person of a manufacturer of slightly bigger,
   networkable printers/MFPs. This guy can usually repair hardware,
   knows about networks, printing, scanning etc. on mostly Windows,
   maybe Mac. If you are REALLY lucky, he can advise the local admin
   about issues like SAP and mainframe printing, knows how to interact
   with accounting systems etc. pp.

   He might also know one Linux distro and a flavour of Unix or
   two. However, his background is often hardware-based (a job
   requiring a lot of skill on it's own.). He hasn't got time to work
   around 20 different versions of printer setup, depending on distro
   flavour. If this guy could rely on the CUPS web interface to work,
   without additional setup, without distro specific changes, his job
   would be MUCH easier. And no, his time is far too valuable to RTFM
   more than once - and it better be a good manual, too. Of course,
   the CUPS interface will evolve over the years. But that is ONE
   product.

   So my requirement would basically be : "Whatever tools are offered
   for printer setup/maintenance in a system supporting CUPS, the CUPS
   web interface and the CUPS command line interface must work out of
   the box and provide full functionality.".

   Let me add a second one: "In a system runbning CUPS, all printer
   configuration and setup info must reside within CUPS."

Second that!

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton