[Printing-summit] [lsb-discuss] Printer/driver testing andcertification

Stark, Jens Jens.Stark at seeg.sharp-eu.com
Mon Aug 21 03:43:10 PDT 2006

Johannes wrote (also shortened):

>> ... it should be one and the same for everybody.

>In the free software world this will never ever happen because
>if it happens somewhere for a longer time, this part can no longer
>belong to the free software world (otherwise it would have evolved).
>Instead of demanding "be one and the same for everybody"
>there must be reasonable specifications (e.g. LSB) so that
>something can be used the same way (but it must not "be the same").

Agreed. But would it be unreasonable to expect distributions not to break t=
he CUPS web interface ? For Willie the End User with his printer connected =
via USB, the printer is the minor issue. He will be able to setup his print=
er using the distro supplied maintenance/setup/config tool (Which differ wi=
thout a REAL need to. Same (worse) in the Unix world - think of the likes o=
f SMIT). =

Enters the service person of a manufacturer of slightly bigger, networkable=
 printers/MFPs. This guy can usually repair hardware, knows about networks,=
 printing, scanning etc. on mostly Windows, maybe Mac. If you are REALLY lu=
cky, he can advise the local admin about issues like SAP and mainframe prin=
ting, knows how to interact with accounting systems etc. pp. =

He might also know one Linux distro and a flavour of Unix or two. However, =
his background is often hardware-based (a job requiring a lot of skill on i=
t's own.). He hasn't got time to work around 20 different versions of print=
er setup, depending on distro flavour. If this guy could rely on the CUPS w=
eb interface to work, without additional setup, without distro specific cha=
nges, his job would be MUCH easier. And no, his time is far too valuable to=
 RTFM more than once - and it better be a good manual, too. Of course, the =
CUPS interface will evolve over the years. But that is ONE product.

So my requirement would basically be : "Whatever tools are offered for prin=
ter setup/maintenance in a system supporting CUPS, the CUPS web interface a=
nd the CUPS command line interface must work out of the box and provide ful=
l functionality.". =

Let me add a second one: "In a system runbning CUPS, all printer configurat=
ion and setup info must reside within CUPS."

For manufacturers, GNOME or KDE is not the question. (FVWM, anyone ?)
But for their support staff, it is critical to have ONE reliable interface,=
 especially if it already exists.
(And any time spent on distro wars should better be spent on making the lif=
e of users easier.)

Best,
   Jens