[Printing-summit] QUESTION for operating system vendors/distributors

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sun Aug 20 18:43:55 PDT 2006

The Gutenprint project is considering a change that would create at
least a partial dependency of Gutenprint on the CUPS API
(specifically, the PPD file parser in libcups).  How much of a problem
would this pose to OS distributors/vendors (e. g. Linux distributions,
Mac OS X, Solaris, AIX, etc)?

Would it be easier if we were to introduce this change in a new minor
version (e. g. 5.2) vs. a point release (e. g. 5.0.1)?

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton