[Printing-summit] What are the most common small-office printers?

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 07:04:03 PDT 2006

I would suggest the following:

- 1 HP multi-function with inkjet printer, scanner, card reader, fax,
  USB, ethernet (HP inkjet plus extra functions via HPLIP, SANE,
  usb-storage)
- 1 Epson multi-function with inkjet printer, scanner, card reader, USB
  (Epson inkjet plus extra functions via usb-storage, SANE,
  MTink/escputil)
- 1 Samsung GDI laser printer (common GDI printer with GhostScript
  driver)
- 1 HP LaserJet 1000/1005/1018/1020 (GDI laser printer which needs its
  firmware loaded from the computer)
- 1 PCL laser printer (common printer with GhostScript driver)
- 1 small PostScript laser (also common printer type)

At least one of the lasers should have "Installable Options" in its PPDs
(to test printer setup tools).

As you asked for a "small office" printer here, I do not suggest a large
format inkjet (like HP DesignJet) or a high-end multi-function laser
(like Ricoh or Lanier).

   Till