[Desktop_printing] Ghostscript leading edge is now GPL!

Osamu MIHARA mihara.osamu at fxpsc.co.jp
Thu Jun 29 01:31:19 PDT 2006

I'm not sure what is going on in the GS community, but, seems to me, it
just changes the one year delay of GPL version policy is changed to that
AFPL and GPL versions are released at the same time. AFPL-GS 8.54 is
release on 26th of May and GPL-GS 8.54 is release on 31st of May.  They
may be identical except for the copyright notice.

The code is still under control of Artifex.  If you try to apply patches
into it, the licenses of the patches should have non-GPL license such as
MIT.  Otherwise, Artifex cannot use them for their commercial version of
GS. (Although I don't know the relationship between Artifex GS and AFPL GS.)

The patches incorporated into ESP-GS is GPL of course, unless the patch
provider stated it as MIT or other GPL-compatible and non-derivative
type of license.  Also there are some conflicting features between
ESP-GS and GPL-GS, such as CJK.  So merging ESP-GS into GPL-GS is a very
tough effort, unless Artifex changes their policy drastically.

Is my understanding correct?