[Desktop_printing] PAPI for CUPS: Volunteers needed!

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Jun 28 08:16:04 PDT 2006

Giuseppe Ghibò wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh ha scritto:
>
>> On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Norm Jacobs wrote:
>>
>>> So, presumably CDDL will suffice.  I can look at re-targeting the
>>
>> CDDL is GPL-incompatible, at least according to the FSF and Debian.  (refer
>> to http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html).  As parts of a CUPS
>> system are GPL, it is probably a good idea to choose another license that
>> has no doubts on its GPL compatibility.
>>

> Sorry the OT, but what about all the drivers (including printer, scanners
> and wireless) that works only if a binary firmware in the device memory
> (firmware which is not free and which generally can't be even freely
> redistributed) is uploaded before.

WRT uploading firmware to a device (i.e. the firmware is not executed
by the driver), the GPL isn't an issue because the firmware is just
more data that is sent to the device.  The same firmware file could
be used on any platform you port the code to, and you don't need the
firmware source to recompile the driver.  You *do* need to allow
redistribution and modification of the firmware file, however, just
as documentation or image files in a package can be distributed and
modified.