[Desktop_printing] Deprecate IJS? GhostScript with only "opvp" as output device?

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Mon May 15 18:02:16 PDT 2006

   Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 01:28:37 +0200
   From: Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmx.net>

   I also did not want to simply take it away, but simply hear
   opinions. We must at first observe how well the new opvp is going
   and perhaps see in real live were it needs to be improved. One
   thing which opvp most probably does not have yet is KRGB, which is
   important for economic handling of black and colored ink or toner.

   Vector drivers are most interesting for laser printers who do not
   do PostScript but do another high-level language (PCL for example,
   but also the ESC/Page of the Epson EPL non-"L" and AcuLaser
   printers).

   For inkjet printers and fax machines raster drivers based on IJS or
   CUPS raster are just fime. Raster devices are probably not
   accelerated by using opvp. Here the only benefit is reducing the
   number of different interfaces.

   So for now it is perhaps best to keep the three interfaces and
   observe there developemt and drop only GhostScript
   built-in. Perhaps it should also be avoided to make a raster driver
   CUPS-raster-only but better let it have both the CUPS raster and
   opvp or IJS interface as BSD and Solaris do not use CUPS as default
   spooler.

What *is* a bit of a pain is having to write too many drivers to
different API's.  We've done three general purpose drivers based on
Gimp-Print/Gutenprint (legacy Ghostscript, CUPS, and IJS), all with
extremely different API's, and I'm not eager to do another one.  The
amount of actual code isn't that great; the real headache is the
testing and the metadata generation (PPD files, Foomatic data, what
have you).

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton