[Desktop_printing] Deprecate IJS? GhostScript with only "opvp"as output device?

Oleinik, John H john.oleinik at hp.com
Mon May 15 15:53:44 PDT 2006

At the Printing Summit we agreed on 3 standard interfaces: IJS, opvp, and
CUPS Raster.  It seems premature to talk about deprecating IJS.

We are looking at how our customer needs might be met by CUPS Raster and
opvp, but currently our customers are well-served by IJS.  HPLIP, which of
course uses IJS, now supports over 1,000 HP Printer models.   IJS is a
well-tested interface, it is not currently under development because it
works very well.  Who benefits from deprecating IJS?

We are also trying to understand how opvp benefits our customers, but this
is not yet clear to us.  Who benefits from the adoption of opvp?  We have
only heard anecdotal information about performance improvements for a
small set of very old printers.  We have not heard this from our Linux
Printing Support forums, but from supporters of the opvp standard.

Michael Sweet raises an issue that is also very important to us at HP.  We
will be using our IJS-based software to enable printing on non-CUPS
environments.  There are a large number of Linux and Unix customers who
value this flexibility and freedom to configure their printing
environments.  Again, I find it premature to set a standard to restrict
this flexibility.

John Oleinik
HP Linux Printing Program Manager