[Desktop_printing] Re: Trying out sample implementation of japanese OpenPrinting efforts

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Mon May 15 14:14:42 PDT 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:
> Till Kamppeter wrote:
>
>> Here is a way to print with a real PDF workflow and without GhostScript
>> at all:
>>

> It is important to note that this is NOT a complete solution.  We
> still need to implement a pdftopdf filter which does page selection,
> imposition, page labeling, and so forth before we can use this in
> CUPS...

And there are more things missing or better to be made differently:

- The PDF renderer should not be a patched XPDF, but it should be linked
  against libpoppler, as well as the pdftops which ships already with
  CUPS, so that there is no repeated code which causes full hard disks
  and maintenance neightmares.

- A pstopdf filter is needed to handle incoming PostScript jobs

- Also an imagetopdf and texttopdf filter is needed.