[Desktop_printing] Deprecate IJS? GhostScript with only "opvp" as output device?

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Mon May 15 14:03:53 PDT 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:

> Both Gutenprint and HPLIP have CUPS native interfaces that are better
> suited to pure-raster printing.

I do not want to deprecate CUPS raster (CUPS raster is probably the
second reason to deprecate IJS), it is probably the better choice in
terms of color management and clean job canceling than OpenPrinting vector.

When will HP's rastertohplip be published?

>> And with the OpenPrinting vector interface one would even be able to
>> modularize out all the GhostScript output devices and leave GhostScript
>> with "opvp" as the only output device. So also the problem of the X11
>> output drivers in the GhostScript implementation of distributions and
>> using GhostScript on X-less servers would get nicely solved.
>>
>> WDYT?
>

> We still need to ensure that the new interface is compatible on all
> of the current operating systems; for us that means: AIX, HP-UX, IRIX,
> Linux, MacOS X, Solaris, and *BSD.

If an OS does not provide any possibility for dynamic linking like libdl
under Linux, we must fall back to a separate process, where the driver
library is statically linked to the server executable.

> Also, the X11 problem is already solved by the dynamic module support,
> right?

Yes, but this solution seems not to be overtaken by upstream (AFPL/GPL)
GhostScript.