[Desktop_printing] Deprecate IJS? GhostScript with only "opvp" as output device?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon May 15 13:45:39 PDT 2006

Till Kamppeter wrote:
> IJS is separate-process-only, raster-only, and not under active
> development any more. There are also only three projects using it:
> HPLIP, Gutenprint, and the Epson-EPL-"L"-series driver. So I think it
> can be deprecated soon and be replaced by the OpenPrinting vector
> interface. Or are there things which IJS provides but OpenPrinting
> vector not.

Both Gutenprint and HPLIP have CUPS native interfaces that are better
suited to pure-raster printing.

> And with the OpenPrinting vector interface one would even be able to
> modularize out all the GhostScript output devices and leave GhostScript
> with "opvp" as the only output device. So also the problem of the X11
> output drivers in the GhostScript implementation of distributions and
> using GhostScript on X-less servers would get nicely solved.
>
> WDYT?

We still need to ensure that the new interface is compatible on all
of the current operating systems; for us that means: AIX, HP-UX, IRIX,
Linux, MacOS X, Solaris, and *BSD.

Also, the X11 problem is already solved by the dynamic module support,
right?