[Desktop_printing] Re: Trying out sample implementation of japanese OpenPrinting efforts

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Mon May 15 12:14:53 PDT 2006

Here is a way to print with a real PDF workflow and without GhostScript
at all:

Now I have also tried to compile the pdftoopvp package from the CVS of
the opfc project on SourceForge.jp
(http://sourceforge.jp/projects/opfc/). One needs these two patches:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/till/tmp/xpdf-3.00-gcc401.patch
http://www.linuxprinting.org/till/tmp/pdftoopvp-gcc401.patch

After compiling there is a CUPS filter xpdf-3.00/xpdf/pdftoopvp which
has to be copied into /usr/lib/cups/filter and the PPDs into
/usr/share/cups/model. In addition, the OpenPrinting vector drivers for
the desired printers need to be installed. Then PDF files sent to a
queue created with the new PPDs should be directly rendered with
pdftoopvp, without GhostScript detour. pdftoopvp is a real CUPS filter
which does not need any wrapper. the driver library to be used it
determines by reading the PPD file.

The PPD files need to be edited to comply with cupstestppd.

   Till