[Desktop_printing] Re: Trying out sample implementation of japanese OpenPrinting efforts

TORATANI Yasumasa toratani.yasumasa at canon.co.jp
Mon May 15 04:02:44 PDT 2006

Hi,

On Mon, 15 May 2006 01:15:09 +0200
Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter at gmx.net> wrote:

> Till Kamppeter wrote:
> > Oi,
> >
> > I have tried to compile and install the japanese OpenPrinting package from
> >
> > http://lx1.avasys.jp/OpenPrintingProject/index_e.html
> >
> > File:
> >
> > http://lx1.avasys.jp/OpenPrintingProject/openprinting-jp-0.1.3.tar.gz
> >

> More question to the japanese driver folks:
>
> Are there any instructions/HOWTOs in english for developing a driver
> based on the OpenPrinting vector interface/PDAPI? Once for writing the
> driver library itself and second for writing/linking an RPC server
> around the driver library?
>
> If not, I would appreciate if this could be done soon, so that printer
> manufacturers and independent driver developers have a place to look up
> this info.

At the present, we have the PDAPI document at;
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/fsg/vector/pdapi-spec-1.0rc1.pdf

And developers can see the driver skeleton code named "opvpnull" at;
http://sourceforge.jp/projects/opfc/
This driver can be worked as a shared library type driver, and accept all driver
function calls from the caller, such as Ghostscript, and shows all the
parameters of each function calling, but do nothing except show the message.

Please see the "INSTALL" file to know how to show the messages, and use
the script "test/gstest.sh" for testing the driver code as following.
$ cd opvpnull/test
$ ./gstest.sh  example.ps

On the other hand, we do not have a development or implementation guide like
HOWTO at the moment, and we agree that it helps us to understand easily to
know the way of the driver development, so, we will discuss what and how to
prepare the document on the printing japan mailing list and at the next
OpenPrinting WG Japan f2f meeting.

> I also would like to know whether the OpenPrinting vector driver has a
> way to cleanly cancel jobs. Is the job cleanly shut down when sending
> SIGTERM to GhostScript?

Currently, it depends on the driver side implementation.
If the driver needs the signal handing feature for particular signal code, driver
has to prepare the signal hander for doing it. If the driver is a RPC type one
and needs to deal with some kind of signal, both the client and server driver
may have the signal handler.

TORATANI.