[Desktop_printing] Re: [Printing-architecture] My suggestions forIra on the LSB meeting

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Sat Apr 29 15:55:01 PDT 2006

That very same question was asked on the printing summit and it comes
down to a choice between a de facto standard and an open standard. Note
that when you use PAPI you will probably still use CUPS behind it, it's
a question about which API you target, not which spooler you use. Given
that Linux distributions are very concerned about their ability to
innovate it seems to me that an open standard is a better choice than
one that ties them down to one particular implementation. But instead of
speculating about that it's probably better to listen what the various
people on the desktop_printing list that work for distributions have to
say about the topic.

Waldo Bastian
Linux Client Architect - Client Linux Foundation Technology
Channel Platform Solutions Group
Intel Corporation - http://www.intel.com/go/linux
OSDL DTL Tech Board Chairman

PCM,
>> OpenPrinting vector, ... (and also a PDF-based printing workflow)
>>
>> But as long as "apt-get install libjtapi-dev" tells me that the
package
>> does not exist, I think we will not be able to make LSB requiring
this.
>> So I urgently suggest to FSG OpenPrinting to apply as a mentor
>> organization on the Google Summer of Code 2006
>> (http://code.google.com/soc/, deadline May 1st, 17:00 pacific). This
way
>> we can perhaps achieve our goal on a later LSB version.
>>
>> For currently existing software I suggest the following requirements
>> (Ira, probably you will not like this, but somehow we have to start
now):

>> - CUPS 1.2.0 or newer with
>>
>>    o Either standard paths (/etc/cups, /usr/lib/cups,
/usr/share/cups,
>>      ...)
>>
>>         OR
>>
>>      cups-config in the main CUPS package (not in -devel) for path
>>      auto-detection
>>
>>    o Working web interface (no blocking like in Ubuntu, or Digest
>>      Authentification like in SuSE)
>>
>> - Foomatic (current CVS of all sub-packages or newer) with
>>
>>    o Standard paths (/usr/share/foomatic, /usr/bin, ...)
>>
>>    o On-the-fly building of PPDs with CUPS 1.2 (I added this feature
>>      the CVS yesterday)
>>
>> - GhostScript (ex. current SVN rev of ESP GS or newer) with
>>
>>    o Standard program and font paths
>>
>>    o At least the ijs, cups, opvp, pswrite, and pdfwrite
>>      devices (opvp is OpenPrinting Vector, already available on
>>      Subversion of ESP GS)
>>
>> - KDE with
>>
>>    o CUPS support (compiled against libcups)
>>
>>    o Patched/fixed to smoothly work with CUPS 1.2 in standard
>>      configuration
>>
>> - GTK/GNOME with
>>
>>    o newest libgtk/Cairo with the new printing support and
CUPS-enabled