[Desktop_printing] Re: [Printing-architecture] My suggestions for Ira on the LSB meeting

Ian Murdock imurdock at imurdock.com
Sat Apr 29 10:15:31 PDT 2006

This looks like a reasonable start. My main comment is that we won't
include anything in the LSB that's not already included in the major
Linux distributions (Red Hat, Novell/SUSE, Debian, etc.) That would
seem to rule out PAPI and some of the other OpenPrinting standards,
though if we can clearly articulate *why* the distros should adopt these
standards, we'd be happy to advocate on their behalf with the distro
vendors. (Note that PAPI in particular will be a tough sell, as the
major Linux distros have more or less all standardized on CUPS already,
so it's not clear what problem PAPI solves from their point of view.)

-ian