[Desktop_printing] Microsoft XPS specification

Hin-Tak Leung hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 20 15:50:54 PDT 2006

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> On Thursday 20 April 2006 22:33, Giuseppe Ghibò wrote:
>
>> IMHO what instead we've not yet seen is a free graphical tool for Linux
>> capable of editing (and modifying) EPS and PDF files
>
> Actually, Scribus can do this.
>
> Well, with a twist. It will import a PS or an EPS file and transform
> it into its own native format, while preserving distinct objects as
> distinct objects. (And after editing the PS, you can then re-export
> it as PS or EPS, or as PDF even).
>
> Works even with sophisticated hand-crafted PS code such as Mike
> Sweet's CUPS test page ("/usr/share/cups/data/testprint.ps").

Glad to hear. In the sense of being able to import and make sense of
postscript/pdf code and do some editing, I believe some of the tools
in the KDE camp (possibly Kword or one of Koffice's family) can import
pdf as well, although I have no first-hand experience with it, so the KDE
people among us might want to commment on this.

And given the similiarity of SVG and postscript (I read the spec some years
ago and it more or less read like postscript with XML syntax...and then 1/2 of
the SVG spec authors from Adobe), I expect some native SVG tools -
possbly inkscape - can very likely develop postscript editing capability
and manipulate postscript code somewhat natively. But again, if there is
somebody who is more familiar with inkscape can possibly want to comment...

HT