[Desktop_printing] Re: pdf/xps document viewers & annotations

Hin-Tak Leung hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 19 16:31:22 PDT 2006

(apologies to the rest of you for the screenshots, but I guess pdf's lesser
used features are still somewhat relevant... and since no current
open-source viewer can view annotations, it helps to have a screenshot for =

discussion)

Derek B. Noonburg wrote:
> On 11 Apr, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Since we are on the topic of document viewers, maybe I could ask
>> a personal question: is any of the ghostscript or the xpdf based
>> viewers going to support pdfmark text annotations? i.e. mouse events
>> to display additional info which aren't on paper?
>>
>> I know neither xpdf-based nor ghostscript-based viewer currently does
>> it, so only acrobat reader supports this pdf feature AFAIK.
>> (it is actually a feature I need for my day-job - so I might actually lo=
ok
>> into doing it).
> =

> That's on my list of things to work on in Xpdf, but I don't know when it
> will actually get done.

Thanks - Albert of KDE pointed me to an abandoned/unfinished branch of kpdf
somebody else AWOL was working on sometimes ago, and I spent a good part of
yesterday building it and getting used to QT and KDE quirks. Here is
the screenshot of the same pdf (created by my day job's work) under
acrobat reader and that kpdf dead branch. The co-ordinate calculation is
wrong - the rect shape should be circles and placed "invisibly" in the squa=
res
of same color, the text box is awkful and not finished, but it is a
good starting point for me. I believe that part of the code isn't based
on nor derived from the xpdf part, but you can probably quickly make more
sense of it than I do. if you want to know more about it, I could do with
some help :-).

Cheers,
Hin-Tak