[Desktop_printing] Publications about the Summit

Claudia Alimpich alimpich at us.ibm.com
Tue Apr 18 09:13:43 PDT 2006

Could you please add IBM in the list of printer vendors in your report?
Even though I was representing FSG and covered the JTAPI and job ticketing
in general, I was also representing IBM. IBM's primary interest is
production and commercial level printing which is why I am very interested
in defining the interfaces to the components in the print system so that
the components can be used by advanced users and print submission
applications and not just home or basic desktop users.

I would say that one of the things that we agreed to during the OSDL
Printing Summit (which was not just desktop printing, right?) was the
necessity to define/agree on the use of interfaces or APIs (PAPI, JTAPI,
SMAPI, etc) between the various components in the print system so that the
part or pieces of the print system can be implemented to the interface and
not depend on a specific implementation. This is basically the idea behind
FSG's reference model.

Thanks,
Claudia Alimpich
IBM Printing Systems Division