[Desktop_printing] RE: PDF/X + PDF/A

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Mon Apr 17 12:41:59 PDT 2006

If you are looking for a reasonable international standard
to look at with regards to PDF for printing, I most strongly
recommend that you look at the draft PDF/X-4 specification
currently being worked on by CGATS and ISO. Expected to be
ratified in early 2007 (not that long off when you consider
international standards and the overhead it takes to get them
approved), PDF/X-4 goes well beyond PDF/X-3 by supporting
(1) PDF 1.6 (PDF compatible with Acrobat 7), (2) color
management (untagged CMYK with a target printing condition
as well as ICC profile-tagged CMYK, RGB, and spot colors),
(3) live transparency, and (4) layers.

Any and all earlier PDF/X standards effectively represent
device-dependent PDF (either device-dependent colors and/or
flattened transparency) which is absolutely what you DON'T
want! (We considered such PDF that does not represent final
form content at the highest level of graphical abstration
as "ruined" PDF!)

	- Dov