[Desktop_printing] PDF/X + PDF/A (was: "Common statements from thesummit - list review")

Ralph Giles giles at ghostscript.com
Fri Apr 14 12:54:49 PDT 2006

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:52:36AM -0700, Bastian, Waldo wrote:

> Well.. then the ISO reference should be dropped indeed. My point was
> that at the summit while we were refining these statements "PDF/A" was
> called out and we were looking for the corresponding ISO reference. If
> people now aren't so sure any more which exact standard should apply
> here then that level of detail shouldn't go in the joint statement. The
> discussion about which standard would be the right one should of course
> continue in that case.

I would also remark that it's counterproductive to "standardize" the
whole linux desktop on some documented subset of PDF. It makes some
sense to point to a sane subset like PDF/A or PDF/X as a minimum
requirement for rips to support (if your applications produces files
conformant to this specification, they will print) but in practice
people will use whatever the common rips (either software on the host or
in printers) actually support. I don't think it makes sense to limit
applications when they might effectively make use of more sophisticated
features and advance the state of the art.

 -r