[Desktop_printing] Common statements from the summit - list review

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Thu Apr 13 17:04:49 PDT 2006

   Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:37:38 -0700
   From: "Bastian, Waldo" <waldo.bastian at intel.com>

   >   Driver Development
   >   ------------------
   >   Open driver interfaces such as IJS, OP Vector Printer and CUPS raster
   >   are widely used.  We recommend all hardware vendors who have plans to
   >   offer their printers for Linux customers to look into available Driver
   >   Development Kits which would greatly simplify driver development for
   >   Linux.

   The "would" in the last sentence is confusing since one might think it
   to imply that there currently are no DDKs.
   Suggested change:

   "We recommend all hardware vendors who have plans to offer their
   printers for Linux customers to look into available Driver
   Development Kits. Usage of a DDK greatly simplifies Linux printer
   driver development."

I'd say "Driver Development Kit or other existing framework".  But
maybe I'm biased or something :-)

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton