[Desktop_printing] Common statements from the summit - list review

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Thu Apr 13 13:37:38 PDT 2006

Some suggestions for some small changes:

>   Printer and Driver Installation
>   -------------------------------
>   We want to achieve correct auto-discovery of printing devices and
>   auto-installation of  the matching driver based on manufacturer
>   implementation of IEEE 1284 device identification for direct connect
and
>   network printers.

Can we make this a slightly stronger statement, by adding something
like:
"We call upon printer manufacturers to correctly implement IEEE 1284
device ids in all their products."

>   Driver Development
>   ------------------
>   Open driver interfaces such as IJS, OP Vector Printer and CUPS
raster
>   are widely used.  We recommend all hardware vendors who have plans
>   offer their printers for Linux customers to look into available
Driver
>   Development Kits which would greatly simplify driver development for
>   Linux.

The "would" in the last sentence is confusing since one might think it
to imply that there currently are no DDKs.
Suggested change:

"We recommend all hardware vendors who have plans to offer their
printers for Linux customers to look into available Driver Development
Kits. Usage of a DDK greatly simplifies Linux printer driver
development."

>   Print Job Data Format
>   ---------------------
>   We want to move to PDF (ISO xxx) as the core format for print job
>   handling (while maintaining backwards compatibility with
PostScript).

>Certification:
>
>   Certification
>   We want to enable the printing ecosystem (printer vendors, Linux
>   distributors, integrators, etc.) by  providing a means to certify
>   printers and printer drivers against standard Linux capabilities
(LSB)
>   rather than against all of the individual distributions.

Can we work the value proposition of "Certified printer + Certified
distro => working printer" in here?

Cheers,
Waldo