[Desktop_printing] Common statements from the summit - list review

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Wed Apr 12 20:02:32 PDT 2006

   From: John Cherry <cherry at osdl.org>
   Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 19:50:43 -0700

   The meeting focused on topics and suggestions to make print related
   tasks much more easy to handle for Linux users as well as application
   developers and Independent Software Vendors (ISVs).  Participants
   overwhelmingly agreed that the following fields will get most attention
   in the next stage of development; specific working groups will be
   established to drive these topics until the next Desktop Linux Printing
   summit in 6 months.

   These common statement are not a comprehensive summary, but rather
   "speaking point" for the summit.  Consistent messaging is very important
   as we move to the next stages for open source printing.

Sounds about right.  I suggest grouping them, perhaps as follows:

* Administration and Installation:

   Printer and Driver Installation
   -------------------------------
   We want to achieve correct auto-discovery of printing devices and
   auto-installation of  the matching driver based on manufacturer
   implementation of IEEE 1284 device identification for direct connect and
   network printers.

   Comprehensive Status Reporting
   ------------------------------
   We want to achieve a set of more meaningful feedback to users and
   administrators from devices and drivers about printer status, job
   status, and problems that have been encountered and to facilitate user
   feedback.

* User Interface:

   Consistent User Experience
   --------------------------
   We want to define printing dialogs that are consistent in layout and
   print options offered to the user across all applications and desktop
   environments.

   Print Dialog Extensibility
   --------------------------
   We want to design a platform neutral standard & API that allows
   operating system, application and printer vendors to extend the common
   printing dialog with their own extensions.

   We want to intensively explore the idea of a "printing dialog provided
   as a desktop service" for use by applications and GUI toolkits to
   construct print dialogs or to query for printer configuration
   information.

* Developer Support/API

   Driver Development
   ------------------
   Open driver interfaces such as IJS, OP Vector Printer and CUPS raster
   are widely used.  We recommend all hardware vendors who have plans to
   offer their printers for Linux customers to look into available Driver
   Development Kits which would greatly simplify driver development for
   Linux.

   Print Job Data Format
   ---------------------
   We want to move to PDF (ISO xxx) as the core format for print job
   handling (while maintaining backwards compatibility with PostScript).

Certification:

   Certification
   -------------
   We want to enable the printing ecosystem (printer vendors, Linux
   distributors, integrators, etc.) by  providing a means to certify
   printers and printer drivers against standard Linux capabilities (LSB)
   rather than against all of the individual distributions.

   Testing
   -------
   Linux distributors, printer manufacturers and the Linux community should
   work together to make recommendations on a testing methodology for Linux
   printing.  The goal is to establish a globally applicable standard for
   Linux compatibility testing and certification of printing solutions.

   We would like to collect global testing results on linuxprinting.org and
   make them available to the Linux desktop community.