[Desktop_printing] ijs and cups raster

Hin-Tak Leung hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 12 14:03:00 PDT 2006

Ralph Giles wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 09:44:47PM +0100, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
>
>> Was there any dicussion about moving ijs forward?
>
> We talked about it a bit. The current concensus seems to be to move to
> cups raster, thus disallowing use of AFPL Ghostscript.
>
> That said, it sounds like hpijs will continue to support the IJS
> interface for a while, and there's no reason we can't further develop
> libijs and its corresponding spec.

ijs is bi-directional, cups raster is not - are you sure it is a good idea?

>> BTW, AFPL gs can't do the cups raster format; where as some drivers -
>> e.g. foo2zjs's higher color-depth/better quality code depends on the
>> cups raster device being available
>
> What specifically does it want? 16 bpc?

for generating raster of unusual color depths - the part I look at requires
2-bit per cmyk channel, for example. I think it might be possible to do
something similiar with gs's cmyk device with some extra switches (plus
adaptation of foo2zjs code to read input in that form).

>> - I suppose it depends on
>> Mike Sweet assigning gdevcups.* to artifex, or some licensing deal
>> for that to happen.
>
> Mike and I talked about it without immediate resolution; I'll relay the
> conversation to Artifex and see if another round makes any progress.

good luck with that...

HT