[Desktop_printing] ijs and cups raster

Ralph Giles giles at ghostscript.com
Wed Apr 12 13:41:55 PDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 09:44:47PM +0100, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:

> Was there any dicussion about moving ijs forward?

We talked about it a bit. The current concensus seems to be to move to
cups raster, thus disallowing use of AFPL Ghostscript.

That said, it sounds like hpijs will continue to support the IJS
interface for a while, and there's no reason we can't further develop
libijs and its corresponding spec.

> BTW, AFPL gs can't do the cups raster format; where as some drivers -
> e.g. foo2zjs's higher color-depth/better quality code depends on the
> cups raster device being available

What specifically does it want? 16 bpc?

> - I suppose it depends on
> Mike Sweet assigning gdevcups.* to artifex, or some licensing deal
> for that to happen.

Mike and I talked about it without immediate resolution; I'll relay the
conversation to Artifex and see if another round makes any progress.

 -r