[Desktop_printing] xpdf renders inkscape generated pdf badly

Hin-Tak Leung hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 10 16:46:15 PDT 2006

Hmm, strangely enough, I don't think Derek (author of xpdf, and the
pdftops backend used by cups) was in the desktop_printing list nor invited
to the summit currently going on at Atlanta?

Hi,

I suppose some of the OSDL folks were wondering why some of us complained
about the quality of the inkscape generated pdf:

http://groups.osdl.org/apps/group_public/download.php/2078/printingsummit.pdf

While printing a few copies out (to show the US Embassy...), I found that
it is particularly badly displayed by xpdf and xpdf derived renderers
(gpdf, evince, and other poppler-based viewers?). In fact ghostscript based
display (gv/ggv/gsview/ghostview) and acrobat reader on linux seems to display
it alright. So it seems to be a limitation of xpdf-derived pdf viewers,
but that's basically all the commonly installed pdf viewers in the linux world.

Something for Derek to work on, and for the printing summit people to talk about
on Wednesday.

(it only affects displaying of pdf's, not printing).

Cheers,
Hin-Tak