[Desktop_printing] Portland tool: xdg-su (Was: Role of CUPS and error handling)

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Apr 4 00:40:22 PDT 2006

Hello,

On Apr 3 21:18 Bastian, Waldo wrote (shortened):
> >2.
> >Test that the effective user id is 0
> >otherwise tell the user in the user's language
> >that he must switch to root before running the setup program.
>
> *shameless plug*
> This step can be automated with the xdg-su tool from the Portland
> project.
> See http://portland.freedesktop.org/wiki/TaskSu

What I have in mind is to use only tools which are available
by default for any Linux distribution.

But I think I understand what you mean:
2.
Test if the user runs KDE or Gnome and try to use
kdesu or gnomesu (and use su or sux as fallback)
and if all fail, tell the user in the user's language
that he must switch to root before running the setup program.

By the way:
What is a good test to find out if the user runs KDE or Gnome
(i.e. a test which works for any Linux distribution)?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de