AW: [Desktop_printing] Role of CUPS and error handling

Graeme Gill graeme at argyllcms.com
Mon Apr 3 19:29:51 PDT 2006

Robert L Krawitz wrote:
> In the case of Gutenprint, there are two "manufacturers" -- the
> multinational corporations that build the hardware, and the handful of
> folks exiled into their basements to hack on this stuff out of site of
> their more respectable family members :-)  Sometimes we get
> adjustments contributed back by our users.

Right, but there's no reason to make such a facility available
in print dialogs (even if hidden behind an "expert" button), if
it's primarily a manufacturer/driver supplier/developer function.

Manual calibration curve setting is not something that's
desirable, it's something people do because there's no
alternative. There are better alternatives, but perhaps they
aren't available yet in a Unix/Linux environment.
Since the method of creating calibration curves is not something
that's at all agreed upon, that's another good reason for
not putting manual setting in print dialogs.

The best move would simply be to agree on a calibration
curve file format, and add facility to configure it in
the printer setup (along with ICC profile etc.).

Provide a separate utility to create curves (manually if
that's what you like, or what you can manage), and then
the option is there to use other calibration tools, as they
become available.

["Creative" or "preferential" color settings, is a whole
  other discussion, that often gets confused with calibration.]

Graeme Gill.