[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: AW: [Desktop_printing] Role of CUPS and error handling]]

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Apr 3 07:15:22 PDT 2006

Did it again...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: AW: [Desktop_printing] Role of CUPS and error
handling]
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 10:13:31 -0400
From: Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com>
To: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de>
<Pine.LNX.4.58.0604031515400.9554 at wotan.suse.de>

Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Apr 3 08:50 Michael Sweet wrote (shortened):
>> Johannes Meixner wrote:
>>> I cannot imagine any problems regarding usability here.
>
> I meant only usability (i.e. from the end-users point of view).

Well, whether something even runs is a usability issue... ;)

> By the way: What about "cups-config --version"?

Only available if the user has installed the corresponding
-devel package (at least on Linux)

>>     3. It requires each vendor to develop their own setup
>>        applications,
>
> Yes, this is a crucial point of the idea.
> But I didn't mean a big-and-fat arbitrary-printer setup application.
> I have something like a bash-script in mind.
> Only the manufacturer knows what exactly he needs to set up
> his one particular printer model.
> With this knowledge he can make a setup script which tests all
> what is needed and therefoere which will not show any user dialog
> except for fatal error messages after which the tool must exit.
> Then only a very generic message-popup with an [ok] button
> (e.g. "xmessage" if X is running) is sufficient.

A script would be good, but I'd still like to give the manufacturers
something standard to work with (e.g. template or script that can
adapt based on files/configuration info) to make is easier and less
error prone.

Also, if we provide the vendors with shell scripts, then we can make
sure the scripts are portable and run on as many distributions or
operating systems as possible.