AW: [Desktop_printing] Role of CUPS and error handling

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Apr 3 06:41:32 PDT 2006

Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Apr 2 22:43 Kurt Pfeifle wrote (shortened):
>> KDEPrint as we know it now is already 5 years old.
>> On the user level, we are still quite weak; our GUIs still
>> suck too much
>
> Regarding user frontends I would like to point you to an enhancement
> request which is meant as a point to start further discussion:
> http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1462
>
> For example for the special foomatic-rip options it might be possible
> to add an appropriate foomatic-rip options section to all Foomatic PPDs
> to make the foomatic-rip options available even in all graphical user
> frontends.
> Unfortunately in particular the foomatic-rip page specifications
> must be combined with the actual option as a prefix
> (e.g.: -o 1:InputSlot=Cover -o InputSlot=Standard)
> so that it seems to be much more complicated than a simple additional
> section in the PPD files.
>
> Nevertheless:
> What do you think about the idea in general?

WRT Foomatic's use of prefixes, they are not compatible with IPP in
general and we will never support it in CUPS.

We had hoped to add support for IPP's document object stuff (which
supports per-page overrides, etc.) in CUPS 1.2, however we ran out
of time.  It will likely show up in CUPS 1.3.

In the meantime, we have integrated Apple's AP_FIRSTPAGE_InputSlot
and AP_FIRSTPAGE_ManualFeed options in CUPS 1.2 so that users can
override the media for the first page.