AW: [Desktop_printing] Role of CUPS and error handling

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Apr 3 06:14:40 PDT 2006

Hello,

On Apr 2 22:43 Kurt Pfeifle wrote (shortened):
> KDEPrint as we know it now is already 5 years old.
> On the user level, we are still quite weak; our GUIs still
> suck too much

Regarding user frontends I would like to point you to an enhancement
request which is meant as a point to start further discussion:
http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1462

For example for the special foomatic-rip options it might be possible
to add an appropriate foomatic-rip options section to all Foomatic PPDs
to make the foomatic-rip options available even in all graphical user
frontends.
Unfortunately in particular the foomatic-rip page specifications
must be combined with the actual option as a prefix
(e.g.: -o 1:InputSlot=Cover -o InputSlot=Standard)
so that it seems to be much more complicated than a simple additional
section in the PPD files.

Nevertheless:
What do you think about the idea in general?

Kind Regards,
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de